Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
This document contains a 12-page PDF of Further Reading Notes which are specific to the “Advanced Sociological Perspectives” module from the “Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity” course at Durham University. It has been written by a Durham University student who has completed the course and achieved a 1st. The notes have been tailored for students who are looking to revise for exams or complete coursework. The document covers the following articles:
- (Curry, T 1995, ‘Sporting Females: Critical Issues in the History and Sociology of Women’s Sports. (Book Review)’, Contemporary Sociology, 25, no. 5, pp. 697-698.)
- (Greendorfer, SL 1990, ‘From “Fair Sex” to Feminism: Sport and Socialisation of Women in the Industrial and Post-Industrial Eras (Book Review)’, Gender and Society, vol 4, no. 1, pp. 108-110)
- (Elling, A and Knoppers, A 2005, ‘Sport, Gender and Ethnicity: Practises of Symbolic Inclusion/Exclusion’, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 257-268.
- (Bernstein, A 2002, ‘Is it Time for A Victory Lap? Changes in the Media Coverage of Women in Sport’, International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 415- 428.
- (Carle, A & Nauright, J 1999, ‘A man’s game? Women playing rugby union in Australia’, Football Studies, vol. 2 1, pp. 55-73.)
- (Fallon, MA and Jome, LM 2007, ‘An Exploration of Gender-Role Expectations and Conflict Among Women Rugby Players’, Psychology of Women Quarterly, 31, no. 3, pp. 311-321)
- (Pope, S 2014, “There are some daft people out there!” : exploring female sport and media fandoms’, Sport in Society, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 254-269.
- (Dworkin, SL and Messner, MA 2002, ‘Gender Relations in Sport’, Sociological Perspectives, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 347-352.)
- (Koivula, N 1999, ‘Gender Stereotyping in Televised Media Sport Coverage’, Sex Roles, vol. 41, no. 7-8, pp. 589-604.
- (Wright, J and Clarke, G 1999, ‘Sport, the Media and the Construction of the Compulsory Heterosexuality: A Case Study of Women’s Rugby Union’, International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 34, no. 3, pp. 227-243.)
- (Knight, JL and Giuliano, TA 2002, ‘He’s a Laker; She’s a “Looker”: The Consequences of Gender-Stereotypical Portrayals of Male and Female Athletes by the Print Media’, Sex Roles, vol. 45, no. 3/4, pp. 217-229.
- Mitchell, T. O., Nesti, M., Richardson, D., Midgley, A. W., Eubank, M., & Littlewood, M. (2014). Exploring athletic identity in elite-level English youth football: a cross- sectional approach. Journal of sports sciences, 32(13), 1294-1299